I get a trickle of emails from Gmail Team (mail
Well yesterday afternoon it was open season and in the space of a few minutes I received several hundred of these emails. They were coming quicker than I could delete them. They were to my gmail address and I don’t know whether it was my turn to be pulled out of the spammer’s hat or what had triggered the deluge, but the situation was rapidly becoming unmanageable.
Gmail’s filtering to the rescue!
- In Gmail click the cog top right and choose ‘Settings’
- In settings choose ‘Filters and Blocked Addresses’ from the tabs along the top
- Click ‘Create a new filter’
- In the ‘from’ box put Gmail Team’s address ‘mail
- In the ‘to’ box put the email address getting all these emails
- In the ‘Includes the words’ box put ‘contained a virus or a suspicious attachment
. It was therefore not fetched from your account‘
- In the next pane click delete from the choices presented to you, OK and you are done.
It is worth repeating the process for other email address handled by your Google account.
By the next morning the deluge had abated although the ‘bin’ contained nearly a thousand more such mails! Once these were permanently removed the flow was back to the customary trickle.